The mechanical engineering department consists of 20 teams who are charged with the mechanical engineering part of the overall design. The Sales & Concepts department produces the concept design. The mechanical engineering department progresses to the basic design and detail design stage.
Our teams are operationally subdivided into the following product groups: Cranes, Pipelay, Drilling & After Sales. Each team consists of four to eight engineers, led by a lead engineer. The team roles are design, structural and CAD engineer.
In the Netherlands, the mechanical engineering department extends to about 200 engineers based in 3 locations: Schiedam, Breda and Enschede. Our offices in Breda and Enschede currently have 4 teams each. We will be expanding these offices with an extra team in the coming period. Some 50 engineers work at our plants in the Czech Republic, Brazil and China on stand-alone projects and in support of the mechanical engineering department in Schiedam.
As a structural engineer with Huisman you will be a multi-deployable engineer working on mechanical engineering projects. Your main task is calculating mechanical designs within one of our product groups. You will also be progressing to become a specialist within your product group.
At Huisman, construction projects run in parallel to engineering. In support of this process, new projects commence by drafting the purchase details based on the concept design. The purchase details include: bearings, gearboxes, steel, cylinders, hoisting cables, brakes etc. Based on the concept design, the design engineers will be developing the basic design they receive from the Sales & Concepts department into the detail design.
During this process, you will be making detailed calculations on a regular basis so as to optimise the design. You will also be appraising design drawings in order to monitor strength, driving capacity, customer requirements, having regard also to class or certification bodies. This is done by hand calculations and finite element calculations (Ansys / Femap). Quality is key at Huisman. Of course, you will work very closely with the design engineers and give them wanted and unwanted advise.
To develop into a specialist, you will be offered training that is tailored to your expertise and level of experience. Our Mechanical EDUcation plan consists of several modules in the area of design and calculation. While training to become a senior structural engineer, emphasis will also be given to the fields of electrotechnology, hydraulics and short work placements in other departments within Huisman.
To fill this vacancy, we are looking for a candidate with:
• An institute of technology (HTS) degree with a minimum of 5 years’ experience or a University of Technology degree with a minimum of 3 years’ experience;
• Experience as a structural (/design) engineer within the (heavy) machinery, offshore / maritime sector or steel construction sector;
• Experience with dynamic calculations;
• A good command of Dutch and English, both oral and written;
• An accurate and efficient approach to work;
• Salary in accordance with the salary house (range between €2700,- and €4450,- depending on education and level of experience)
• Bonus arrangement
• Overtime compensation against actual hours / overtime compensated at 100% rate
• Flexible working hours
• 24 holiday days and 5 ADV days
• 8% holiday allowance
• Travelling cost compensation
• Collective health insurance
• Collective pension scheme with 4% own contribution
• Informal work climate
• Good career development opportunities