Knuckle Boom Cranes
The Huisman Knuckle Boom Crane (KBC) design is suitable for various applications, including offshore construction work and subsea installation. It is designed to increase safety during deck handling, ship-to-ship transfer and subsea installation, using precise load control. Huisman has experience in designing and building KBC's up to 250mt lifting capacity and 2,500m water depth. In addition we are constantly exploring new and heavier means of application.
The crane is equipped with a unique in-house developed secondary controlled hydraulic drive system that works with a constant high pressure. This gives the system a much higher stiffness than conventional primary controlled systems. During hoist operations and heave compensation the response of the load is more accurate and much faster.
The system of the Huisman Knuckle Boom Crane operates with a constant power, keeping the speed of the hoist block constant over all layers of the winch. The torque and speed of the winch are controlled by adjusting the displacement of the hydraulic motors on the winch. Vessel motions for heave compensation are measured by motion reference units. This provides more accuracy than systems that use wave prediction. In addition, the crane can provide unrivaled hoisting speeds and thereby significantly reducing the time to lower loads to the seabed. The accurate and fast hoist system increases the operational weather window and maximizes safety during operations.
- Lifting capacity up to 250mt and hook travel up to 3,000m delivered;
- Precise and accurate heave compensation system;
- Unrivalled hoisting speeds;
- High redundancy level, using multiple electro-hydraulic power units;
- Automatic & Manual Overload Protection System;
- Constant tension mode;
- High durability of critical drive and heave compensation components;
- Easy maintenance, using hydraulic header and drain tank inside large crane house;
- Increased wire rope lifetime using larger winch drum diameter;
- Large comfortable Operators cabin;
- Large crane house;
- Long slew bearing life.